RE: Windows 95 support ?

On 25 April 2006 17:23, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Dave Korn, le Tue 25 Apr 2006 16:52:36 +0100, a écrit :
>>   Did it leave a log file lying around anywhere?
>
> Not in the current directory, and neither of
>
> find -name \*cyg\*
> find -name \*setup\*
>
> found anything.
>
> Samuel

  Hm.  Sounds like a silent dll initialisation failure.  I have to ask the
dread question: do you have any debgging tools installed?  Setup requires the
following functions from msvcrt:

_access, _fdopen, _mktemp, _putenv, _read, _setmode, _strdup, _stricmp,
_strlwr, _strnicmp, _write

so you could check that the version you have actually supplies them all.  It's
also possible that it has some dependencies on other dlls that normally get
installed at the same time as the rest of the IE4 package - maybe updated
kernel32 or something.  What you're trying to do here is a bit like taking one
dll from a future service pack and hoping it'll be backwardly-compatible with
an earlier OS; but it may rely on other new functionality that was released at
the same time in the same service pack.  So you may just have to bite the
bullet and install the full IE update to any W95 machine that needs to run
setup.

    cheers,
      DaveK