RE: Geomview & Cygwin setup

At Friday 2006-04-28 11:45 -0400, Williams, Gerald S \(Jerry\) wrote:
If you need to find out what gcc is targeting, perhaps you should
use "-dumpmachine" instead.

 $ gcc -dumpmachine
 i686-pc-cygwin
 $ gcc -dumpmachine -mno-cygwin
 i686-pc-mingw32

Having identification behaviour dependent on a cygwin-specific flag like this is.. insane. Doing the former (which is what you'd expect) makes you none the wiser about mingw. The latter is a special case where you already have some idea what the target may be, so why would you issue the command? Begs the question.

Lloyd Wood wrote:
> cygming, not cygwin? ('ming' is a strong insult in the UK. I get
> the impression the writer doesn't like cygwin.)

You think that's bad? When the company I was working for spun off
from AT&T, they decided to name themselves "loo scent". :-)

Ah, the famous brown ring of quality, which, alas, won't exist for much longer.

cheers,

L.