RE: cygwin + windows update = lock up (W2K SP4)

On 02 May 2006 18:15, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> In fact, I use cygwin 1.5.19-4 and I can reproduce the bug with *any* cygwin
> process (cygrunsrv, bash, cat, etc).
>
> To reproduce:
> - run cmd.exe, go to the cygwin /bin directory and launch cat.exe
> - on a W2K SP4, start windows update and install KB911564
> - cat starts to consume 75% of the CPU and csrss.exe the 25% left
> - the update will be stuck, and the only way to complete the update is to
> kill the cat.

  Actually it's a whole load easier (and more useful) to have sysinternals'
ProcessExplorer on your system, bring up the properties of any cygwin process,
and then switch to the tab that displays the thread list.

> It also fails with cygwin1-20060426.dll.
>
> One strange thing is that cat continues to work, so one of the threads
> created by cygwin seems to be the culprit.

  Nope, it's the injected thread created by a separate application that's the
culprit.  Think about it: if cat is still working, then the cygwin thread must
still be working.....

> Any hints on how to debug this problem would be appreciated !

  It's a waste of time posting random tracebacks I'm afraid.  What we really
need to do is attach a debugger to the thread that is eating the cpu time, see
what it's trying to LPC to CSRSS and why it fails and retries continuously.
I'm kind of looking at it at the moment but it is a slow and tricky process.

    cheers,
      DaveK