Re: Problems with setup colors in snapshot

On Mon, 22 May 2006, mwoehlke wrote:

> A while back I posted about the colors in setup.exe. I noticed that the
> text background color is fixed but that there is still a problem with
> the tree structure; specifically, the clickable [+] and [-] icons are,
> on my colors, effectively invisible. On some other color schemes I
> tried, they *are* 100% invisible.
>
> I didn't see any response last time, so... is anyone able to reproduce
> this? I know P are TC but I don't have time to play with this right now
> :-(.

Yes, this is most likely reproducible (as the foreground color of those
icons is *always* black.

Theoretically, it should be a simple matter of using MaskBlt instead of
BitBlt with the properly configured pen color and the properly set up
mask.  In practice, making this work on all platforms (including Win9x),
correctly, and with the minimum amount of code changes is a big pain.

If you're interested in looking at the code and providing a patch, grep
the setup sources for bitmap_dc (or BitBlt) and patch all those places.

If someone can take one of the bitmaps from the setup sources, and send me
a *complete* small program that draws that bitmap on a window drawing
context with the foreground and background colors coming from the Windows
color scheme, I'll see what I can do about incorporating that code into
setup.  As is, I'm too busy to wade through MSDNs incomplete documentation
on this.

> Also, thanks again to whoever fixed the text color!

The ChangeLogs should show the name of the culprit.

> More info:
>
> 0: I am looking at the latest, 2.529 snapshot of setup.exe, however I
> also see it in the (older) most recent "release" setup.exe.
>
> 1: It seems that "window background" is the only color that has any
> effect on the tree color. Therefore, the color must be somehow
> calculated from this(?). This might even be a bug in the UI component
> being used (i.e. a bug in M$ code).
>
> 2: My current "window background" color is (70,74,80), which makes the
> tree effectively invisible, but tinkering with a screenshot in M$Paint
> shows that it is still a *marginally* different color.
>
> 3: If I pick, e.g. (64,0,128) for my window background color, the tree
> becomes the *exact* same color as the background.

Hmm, weird -- for me the foreground color of the icons is *always* black.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"