Re: Automated Cygwin install.

Ugh, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Jarl Friis wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >> I have the following issue and according to google it seems like I am
> >> not the first one. I would like to tailor a package selection with
> >> the setup.exe utility, when that is done, I would like to make
> >> unattended installations of these packages on many machines. It seems
> >> like many people have questioned that before but I couldn't find good
> >> answers (the official recomended way) of doing so. Many answers on
> >> mailing lists refer to a dead link on unattended.sf.org The next best
> >> solution is of course to "copy" the package selection-set from one
> >> cygwin installation on one machine to another machine and the just
> >> run setup.exe with that package selection-set, so I don't have to
> >> spend 45minutes clicking around the GUI remembering which packages I
> >> selected in or out.  Can someone enlight me of how to do this best.
> >
> > Yep, that's one way.
>
> What do you mean? If you refer to my "next best solution", then please
> ellaborate on how I can actually do this. What cygwin file(s) contains
> the package selection-set from the GUI?

The file is called /etc/setup/installed.db.  Simply copy it to the same
location on the other machine, then edit it and change all version numbers
to 0.0-0.  That will ensure that you install the latest versions of the
same set of packages.

> > The other is to set up a local mirror with a setup.ini that includes
> > all the packages you want installed in the "Base" category.  Running
> > 'setup.exe' and choosing that mirror will install the new list of
> > default packages.  See the setup home page for details on this
> > (sorry, no direct pointer).
>
> I belive you mean this page:
> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html

Correct.  Actually, you don't really need the whole setup.ini -- it's
enough to have one dummy package (empty bin tarball, empty source) in the
"Base" category, which depends on all the packages you want.  You can use
/etc/setup/installed.db as the source for the list of packages (or run
"cygcheck -cd", which will print that list to stdout).  If you choose to
go with this method, you'll need to select one of the official mirrors as
well).

There are two more ways: one is to set up a local mirror/shared package
repository that contains only the packages you want installed, and then
select "install everything" from that mirror/repository, and the other is
to use the experimental build of setup mentioned in
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00109.html>.

HTH,
	Igor
--