Re: Using cygwin programs to open files downloaded with internet explorer

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Yuval Grossman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When downloading postscript files I am trying to use the cygwin
> ghostview (gv.exe) instead of the window one. Under Internet Explorer
> I was able to do it by telling IE to use the cygwin gv to open .ps
> files. I do, however, have two problems:
>
> 1) When I open a ps file I always get an empty windows command
> window. That is, I end up with two windows, the gv window I like, and
> another one I need to minimize. Is there a way to tell IE to use the
> sygwin gv without opening another window?

Use "run gv ...".

> 2) All this is working only if I start IE from a cygwin terminal. Is
> there a way to tell IE to use the cygwin gv even if I start IE in the
> usual way, that is, by clicking on the IE shortcut on the desktop?

Can't say for sure, because you didn't follow the Cygwin Problem Reporting
Guidelines from <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  At a guess, however,
IE started from the shortcut cannot find gv (or cygwin1.dll) because
c:\cygwin\bin is not in the PATH.  Try adding that to the PATH in the
Windows environment, and restarting the machine.

If the above doesn't work for you, please read and follow the guidelines
from the above link.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/