Re: UTF-8 Cygwin

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > > (and for bottom readers...)
> > > When will we see this in the main-stream cygwin?
> > > Soon? :-)
> > >
> > You can answer your own question.
> > Look here: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/ and see if you notice
> > any patch submissions.
> >
> ====
>    I am not certain, but I'm interpreting that as a "no".
>
>    For people who "know" and are experts in a topic, the answers are
> self-evident. For those who are not, we may not, not only not know where
> to look but may not even know the right question.
>
>    Also, I don't expect my interpretation of some information or reality
> to be the same as someone else's interpretation.  Often I find my
> interpretation is different from other's.

The answer is fairly simple, and has been reiterated on this list many
times.  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.  Links to external projects
that are forks off the main Cygwin source aren't.  For something to get
into Cygwin, someone needs to submit a patch (or, preferably, a series of
patches) against the source in CVS.  The patches will be discussed, and,
hopefully, eventually accepted into the main source.  Once that happens,
the next release will contain the changes.  Until then, the answer, as you
correctly surmised, is "no".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/