configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler

Hi all,
   My apologies to one and all for not being specific in my previous
mail. Well having said that, I am using Win 2000 and when I try to
configure httperf tool on Cygwin the command I give is as below....
however my Cygwin tool and httperf tool are installed on saperate
Drives in the Hard disk.

$ D:/.../http/test/httperf-0.8/configure

after this the error I get is as follows:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking wether the C compiler <gcc> works..... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables

when I checked the config.log filr which gives the error report it
displayed this:

"This file contains any messages produced by compilers while running
configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:548: checking for gcc

configure:661: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works

configure:677: gcc -o conftest  -DNDEBUG -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE
conftest.c  1>&5 gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such
file or directory configure: failed program was:

#line 672 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
main(){return(0);}
"
well I am completely lost and any reply would be kindly appreciated
please do let me know if any other detail is needed.

Thanks