Re: Is anything getting through to the list?

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 04:28:31PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 11 July 2006 15:22, Chuck wrote:
>>I have been trying to post a question to this list for over a week and
>>it never appears, not does it bounce back indicating a problem.
>
>Oh yes it does (bounce back, that is).  If you can't find it (the
>bounce message, that is), it's been eaten by a faulty spam filter or
>some other error at your end.  The mailing list software NEVER silently
>drops an email without sending a bounce.

Actually, Dave, there are provisions in the mailing list software to
silently drop email.  If the spamassassin count is over a specific
threshold or mail contains certain keywords then the message will be
silently dropped.

That said, however, in the majority of cases where people express
outrage and consternation about their inability to send email, they
actually have received a bounce.  Usually it's because they are sending
html email.  When they do notice the bounce, they often send a message
asking for help without ever reading the bounce.

That was not the case here, however.  The problem was that the keyword
"bluebottle" was in the header of a massive spam attack so it was
unceremoniously blocked.  IIRC, I did this a couple of years ago before
I instituted the use of spamassasin on sourceware.  The specific keyword
block shouldn't be needed anymore so I removed it yesterday.

cgf