RE: install cygwin in windows xp sp1

On 11 July 2006 18:48, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:44:11PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>>> Sorry.  Cygwin emulates Linux.  Linux doesn't use path names like
>>> "c:\cygwin\home\username".
>>>
>>> If you don't want to use the type of posix path names that Linux employs
>>> then maybe you shouldn't be using Cygwin.
>>
>>  Well, according to
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.home
>>
>> the OP could set HOME to that in the windows environment vars and it'll be
>> automatically translated to /home/username in cygwin.
>
> The backslash typo notwithstanding the path is being translated from a
> windows directory.  There is no way to make pwd produce a windows path.
>
> But, setting HOME to something or filling out the correct field in
> /etc/passwd will result in something other then \cygdrive\r (sic).  The
> something will still be a POSIX path, however.

  You know, it's just occurred to me that we can't actually tell whether what
the OP was complaining about was the /format/ in which the home dir path was
displayed, or the /location/ of it on what I'll bet is a network drive driven
by the domain-login setting of %HOME% in the windows environment!

    cheers,
      DaveK