DLL loading problem with binutils-20060709-1

I have been developing a mixed python / C++ program which uses SWIG to
handle the interface.  This worked fine until I updated binutils to
20060709-1.  Then when the python script tried to load the DLL generated
with the help of SWIG, the following error message appeared:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 13, in ?
    from py_extend import *
  File "/c/usr/projects/py_extend.py", line 5, in ?
    import _py_extend
ImportError: Permission denied

All file permissions looked o.k.  Restoring binutils to 20050610-1 fixed
the problem.

Is the new binutils broken?  Is there a new ld option I should be using?
Or perhaps I was getting away with bad behaviour before and the new
binutils is punishing me?  I have been generating the DLL simply with "g++
-shared $(OBJECTS) -o _py_extend.dll".

Bill Metzenthen
Cochlear Limited
Level 1, 174 Victoria Parade
East Melbourne  Vic  3002
Australia
PH:  +61 3 8662 3101
FAX: +61 3 9663 8652

Web: http://www.cochlear.com

"The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original message."