Re: inetd help

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Jul 14 08:31, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:
> > I have installed cygwin on a Window2003 server. The install see to go in
> > with out problems.
> >
> > I installed  and started inetd with the following commands
> >
> > 	Cygrunsrv -I inetd -d "CYGWIN inetd" -p ......
> >
> > 	Cygrunsrv -S inetd
> >
> > I looked in the Window 2003 services and it in the list.
>
> inetd is not designed to run under cygrunsrv.  It installs (and, fwiw,
> removes) itself as service.  One condition to get this right is to
> read the documentation first, which, I think, is always a good idea:
>
>   /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README
>
> There you'll see that not long ago a special option -D has been
> added to allow running inetd under cygrunsrv.  But it's not necessary,
> just read on in the above document.
>
> Did you call the /bin/iu-config script before starting inetd?  Or, in
> other words, do you have a valid /etc/inetd.conf file?
>
> Btw., when running on 2K3, the SYSTEM user has not enough privileges to
> switch the user context w/o password, which will spoil using rsh a
> bit...  See the /bin/sshd-host-config script from the openssh package,
> which installs not only the sshd serice, but also creates a new user
> account called "sshd_server", which has the necessary privileges to do
> that.  You could remove the inetd service and recreate it again after
> running /bin/sshd-host-config like this:
>
>   cygrunsrv -R inetd
>   cygrunsrv -I inetd -u sshd_server -w <sshd_server's password> ...
>
> Or you just change the user account in the Services MMC Snap-In.
>
> HTH,
> Corinna

Thanks Corinna and the gmane.os.cygwin group. I got my service running from the
above help.

I am not a window type guy and so have a few question on what I did:

What make sshd_server account so special? I looked through the ssh-host-script
where it creates the sshd_server. Is it the SID S-1-5-32-544, which I know
nothing about. Or could any user in the administrator group do the same.

If I wanted to create my own -u user, rather then the sshd_server user, what
special settings would be required or is that I have a password set for this
user which inetd uses?

Thanks

Robert