Re: exe handling

On Jul 18 18:10, Oliver Walsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this has been already been discussed, the only reference I
> could find was a "In scripts suddenly must use perl.exe rather than
> perl" thread.
>
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#id4729857 states
> the following:
> "If a shell script myprog and a program myprog.exe coexist in a
> directory, the program has precedence and is selected for execution of
> myprog."
>
> This was the case in my previous installation (cygwin 1.5.19-4) but the
> opposite seems to be the case in the latest cygwin dll (1.5.20-1). It's
> causing a lot of problem for me since for many commands I have an exe
> for windows and a shell wrapper for *nix.
>
> The change log for 1.5.20-1 mentions changes .exe handling. Is this
> intended behaviour?

Yes.  We just missed to change the docs, as usual.  The behaviour has
been changed since it was inconsistent throughout Cygwin.  Consider that
"foo" takes precedence over "foo.exe" in case of practically every other
system call, just when starting an application it didn't.  So in the
worst (but usual case under <= 1.5.19) you would end up calling
stat("foo") and get the information for file "foo", but then you'd start
"foo.exe", which might not what you want.

The general idea for the future is to avoid having a file "foo" and a
file "foo.exe" in the same directory like pestilence.

Corinna

Red Hat