RE: Perl failure

Sorry Corinna
But actually,  I never saw your reply,  which is odd since I keep all
the cygwin.com mailing list items for a week,  but I also have only ever
seen 1 of my own additions to the thread(!), and I never received my
initial email through the mailing list and only got confirmation that it
went thru when I got my first response.  Because I had noticed that some
e-mails seem to get diverted,  I've taken to checking the archives to
see if anyone has responded to queries rather than trusting the list.
But as of late last night (California time)  your initial response
hadn't turned up there either.

This seems to indicate what is going on (I'd suspected something like
this) and had noticed that the addition of waitpid (or wait) did solve
this problem in the test case.  Unfortunately,  for me,  the way I'm
using fork is to spawn 5 to 10 concurrent rsync's at a time AND retain
control of the parent so as to recognize when one of the rsyncs has
hung,  and clean up the children when the script finishes.  I've never
liked doing it this way (it seems in-elegant),  but not being a
particular Perl hacker,  I've never figured out a better way;  and I've
been using this same script for 7 years in one form or another on Linux,
Cygwin, and Irix and have just now run into this problem.  As it stands
this is still a script that runs fine on current Linux,  but not on
current Cygwin.  Is there a way to purge or bump up the limit on this
list of active children?

Thanks
Bruce