Re: Why are Windows paths broken in make 3.81?

Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 06:03:43PM -0700, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
My second post was specifically in response to the claim by mwoehlke suggesting that the changes were "not an inconvenience". In this post all the issues I mentioned were intended as illustrations of such inconveniences, so there was even less implied expectation of somebody acting on these. Note, that I wrote that I had already addressed the issues caused by deliberate incompatibilities, all I intended to do was point out that it *had been* inconvenient.

For the record, I was just trying to point out that the general consensus around here seems to be 'don't use DOS paths in Cygwin', and was using that to explain what I feel to be one major reason for the change. I accept and acknowledge that this change may be inconvenient for some people, but it is also my opinion that if you are affected by it, you are doing something that was never condoned or officially supported in the first place. (And, after all, WJM. ;-))

I am glad you got things working and (I assume, since you say things are working) looking POSIX-like.

Personally, every time I see mention of someone using DOS paths in Cygwin, or a Cygwin program, I wonder to myself why this works at all :-).

--
Matthew
Warning: This message has not been approved by the FDA.