Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: sed-4.1.5-2

On Aug  2 11:05, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> You wrote:
>
> >I've updated the version of sed to 4.1.5-2.
> >
> >It reverts the default behaviour of sed back to treating CR/LF as
> >lineendings, in contrast to 4.1.5-1, which only treated the trailing LF
> >as lineending and the preceeding CR as the last character on the line.
>
> Thank you very much for this fix. It will make life easier for all of us
> who struggle with a mix of native and Cygwin tools. It is very much
> appreciated that as far as line endings are concerned the attitude taken by
> Cygwin developers is not "use POSIX line endings".

Sorry, but that's not why I did it.  My personal opinion is still
strongly on the "use POSIX line endings" side.  I made the fix only so
that other mailing lists don't suffer (see the latest discussion on the
binutils mailing list.  Other than that I have only so much patience for
the dreaded textmode/binmode problem and I'm seriously contemplating
(for years) to just remove textmode from Cygwin.  CRLF lineendings are
in the top 10 of the worst ideas in the OS business.

> At the risk of provoking another salvo of emotional responses I'd like to
> express the hope that those who take the opposite attitude with respect to
> path names ("use POSIX paths") may reconsider their position. I would

Not me.

Corinna

Red Hat