Re: memory problems with cvs gnu emacs on latest cygwin

From: Reini Urban
emacs user schrieb:

    I have reported this problem to the gnu emacs developers a few
times, but it seems that emacs is not actively maintained for cygwin
right now. perhaps someone here can help? I am happy to provide more
details if needed. thanks...

A brief problem description:

    memory usage of emacs does not decrease after killing buffers
with images.

This is lisp (emacs lisp), so it's a feature not a bug.

thanks for responding, although this is incorrect, please see below.

emacs.exe -q --no-site-file&
the memory usage right after startup is 14912;
after editing a small image: 16452;
after killing the buffer with the image and using
M-:(clear-image-cache t)RET: 16476; after editing a large image: 39164;
again quit+clear cache: 34484;
edit small+medium+large images: 58936;
quit+clear: 87636... (increased!)

overall memory usage in most lisp's doesn't decrease on released objects. memory usage is reclaimed when the garbage collector starts its walk, which happens when there's not enough memory.

that's actually not true. the simple observation is that the bug I describe does not occur on other platforms such as gnu/Linux. memory is returned to the operating system after the buffer is killed.

best, EU