Re: Um... what format are Cygwin manpages?

mwoehlke wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
mwoehlke wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 01:10:11PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
I have a modified Linux manpage almost ready to go; I assume that goes to cygwin.patches?

No, that would be appropriate only if the man page was found in the winsup hierarchy. The first line of printf(3) says "NEWLIB" when I type "man 3 printf" so that's where a man page patch should go.

Ok, that's what I kind-of thought... Hmm, shame on the newlib folks for having such a poorly-up-to-date manpage. :-) Anyway, I guess this means that gmane.comp.lib.newlib will suffice?

If that equates to newlib at sources dot redhat dot com, then yes.

http://gmane.org/list-address.php?group=gmane.comp.lib.newlib Seems to...

(But... this means what? If the newlib folks don't like it, Cygwin is just stuck with a /wrong/ manpage?)

Well, we could scold them mercilessly and send them to their rooms without
dinner. ;-)

Let's not look for a problem that doesn't currently exist.

Well then, let's hope they accept it. And in a timely manner, would be nice. :-)

Ok, so the other question... assuming it is accepted upstream tomorrow, how long would it likely take to find its way into a Cygwin package?

You'd see it as soon as the maintainer of the cygwin-doc package released
an update.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746