Re: Um... what format are Cygwin manpages?

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
On 8/9/06, mwoehlke wrote:
I thought I'd have a crack at fixing the manpage for printf(3) (see
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-08/msg00288.html), but when I opened
it, I was a bit shocked to discover that it is only *MARGINALLY* in
troff format. I do note that other manpages seem more "normal" (man1
pages, for instance)... So, is this just "how the C lib manpages are"?

Yes, it's sort-of my fault. I just have a Perl script that chunks the newlib libc.info files into faux man pages.

Ah, ok, makes sense. Too bad newlib doesn't have proper manpages, in that case. Although am I understanding that newlib itself doesn't have *any* manpages, meaning a: I need to be fixing their INFO, and b: any manpages should be sent this way after all? (Btw, symlinks for sprintf, fprintf, snprintf, etc, seem to be missing?)

Anyway, if you're maintaining info->man, I totally understand why that would have the format it does. I would be more confused if someone was actually maintaining not-nroff nroff. :-)

Be careful with Linux  man pages, some are licensed from the Open Group.
If so the package should come with a copyright file like this:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/m/manpages-posix/manpages-posix_1.67-3/manpages-posix.copyright

Unfortunately we are not allowed to redistribute those, unless you'd like
to do the legwork to get permission to do so. :)

.\" Copyright (c) 1999 Andries Brouwer (aeb@cwi.nl) .\" .\" This is free documentation; you can redistribute it and/or .\" modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as .\" published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of .\" the License, or (at your option) any later version.

I assume the above is OK? :-)

Also I just posted for upload a new cygwin-doc package before I read
this thread, so there would be more of a delay.

Bummer. Oh, well.

--
Matthew
vIMprove your life! Now on version 7!