RE: emacs (21.2-13) freezing with cygwin 1.5.21-2

> Eric Twietmeyer wrote:
> >> From: Eric Twietmeyer <ept at terrex dot com>
> >> To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> >> Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:19:42 -0700
> >> Subject: FW: emacs (21.2-13) freezing with cygwin 1.5.21-2
> >>

> >> I'm on a brand new machine, there may be some kind of hardware /
> >> driver issues with it, but if so, only emacs is being affected.
> >> There is a minimal set of devices installed on the box, so
> no extra
> >> webcams or anything installed.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else run into a problem with the latest
> cygwin.dll release
> >> and emacs?
> >>
> >> Thanks again,
> >>
> >> -Eric
> >>

> >> -------------------------------
> >>
> >> Yes, I have experienced this same problem on a new installation of
> >> cygwin on my Thinkpad T60 (which does incidentally have a
> thumb-print
> >> reader, but that is neither here nor there) as well as on a Dell
> >> Optiplex 280.

> > Thanks for the response.  I too am on some new Dell box, and can
> > provide further hardware info if that seems necessary.
> >
> > I have backed out to cygwin version 1.5.18, and I have not
> been able
> > to duplicate the emacs freeze (the emacs revision number
> remains the same).
> >
> > Although I work full time as a software engineer, I have not ever
> > attempted to debug in the cygwin environment, and have
> never used gdb
> > (afraid my experience is limited to Windows and the MS IDE
> environment
> > in recent years).  However, I am willing to perform any tests that
> > people feel would be useful if, as seems at least possible,
> there is a
> > problem with the 1.5.21 version of cygwin1.dll in
> conjunction with emacs.
>

> Has anyone having this problem looked at whether it's related
> to previously reported problems like:
>
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-05/msg00790.html>
>
> ?

It doesn't seem to be related, as I don't have any of these devices
installed on my box.  I thought it might be related to some McAfee virus
checking service running on my machine, and disabled it, but the freeze
still occurred.  Again, after backing out to 1.5.18, emacs is now stable,
and I have made no other changes to my system.

The only relation with the post msg00790 is that my machine is dual core.
But I wouldn't expect that to be the problem, as someone says in that post,
many people are using the cygwin environment on SMP systems successfully.

-Eric