keychain doesn't properly cache ssh key

I have a very stock installation of Cygwin (Cygwin.dll Version 1.5.21-2) on Windows XP Pro. I installed the ssh and rsync packages, as well as keychain, all from Cygwin's installer interface. The version of keychain, as you probably know, that Cygwin currently installs is 2.5.3.1. keychain is said to work in the Cygwin environment, and yet I get this type of behavior:

Administrator@NICHD-PALM-Xfer ~
$ keychain id_dsa

KeyChain 2.5.3.1; http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/
Copyright 2002-2004 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL

* Found existing ssh-agent (504)
* Known ssh key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa

Administrator@NICHD-PALM-Xfer ~ $ ssh palmxfer@ssh0.janelia.org Enter passphrase for key '/home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa': Last login: Thu Aug 10 17:53:06 2006 from nichd32t33.nichd.nih.gov [palmxfer@b04u02 ~]$

In other words, it recognizes the existing cached key but doesn't use it. Maybe this issue with ssh-add gets at the root of the problem:

Administrator@NICHD-PALM-Xfer ~
$ ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_dsa
Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Note the error message.

Is anyone aware of anything that would help me to get keychain work adequately?

Dominik Hoffmann