Re: Older postgresql versions [changed]

alecswan schrieb:
The old one, which overwrites 8.x can be downloaded e.g. at
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/publ/cygwin/release/postgresql/postgresql-7.4.5-1.tar.bz2

I am not sure what's the right way to install the tarball, so I just unzipped it in the root folder. However, I am getting the following error when running initdb:

$ initdb -D /var/db/psql-7.4.5/data/
The program
    /usr/bin/postgres
needed by initdb does not belong to PostgreSQL version 7.4.5, or
there may be a configuration problem.

What am I doing wrong?

You haven't deinstalled postgresql-8.x yet.
First deinstall postgresql and all other postgresql packages (-client, libpq4 the most important) via setup.exe
You can only install one version so far.
On the side-by-side installation I'm just working now.

1. uninstall 8.x via setup.exe

2. install the mess:
tar xvfz -C / /usr/src/postgresql-7.4.5-1.tar.bz2 | \
  tee /usr/src/postgresql-7.4.5-1.lst

This should be enough then, but be sure to clean up the mess afterwards, because setup doesn't help you then.

3. read the two readme's (cygwin and default)

4. try it out.

5. uninstall the mess and wait for proper:
cat /usr/src/postgresql-7.4.5-1.lst | xargs rm

Note: 7.4 has a lot of shell scripts without .exe and 8.x has some binaries in /usr/sbin/.
--
Reini Urban