Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:08:54PM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>At 02:20 PM 8/16/2006, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>>On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>>Not only that, but the upstream maintainer actually suggested a couple of
>>avenues of investigation to make the patch smaller by using functionality
>>already built into the upstream make.  All that remains is for someone to
>>actually "do the work" (tm).

>So, it sounds like from the thread Paul suggested setting
>HAVE_DOS_PATHS to true for the cygwin build, but Christopher does not
>think that MS-DOS paths have a place in a cygwin version of make.
>
>I would be willing to try compiling the upstream make with
>HAVE_DOS_PATHS to see if it works for me.  However, if I report back
>that it works great, then what?  Christopher would you change the build
>for cygwin make to have this option?

The suggestion was that a patch be submitted upstream.  I agree with the
suggestion and have amplified on it a little in another message.

This suggestion does not require further input from me.  If I was interested
in being involved in coming up with a patch, I'd have already done so.

I'm not interested in playing any further games of catch-up with you or
anyone else.  Please don't try to involve me in your attempts to modify
the upstream make.  However, should you actually come up with a patch, I
will monitor the make mailing list and, if I have any objections, I'll
make them there.

cgf