Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:35:51 +0200
> From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Windows doesn't allow colons anywhere else in file names anyway.
>
> That's not quite right.  Colons are also used in file names when the
> file name denotes an alternative named stream on NTFS file systems.

Right, I forgot about this obscure feature.

However, this feature is not specific to Cygwin, so if support for
such names is important (I suspect it isn't, but that's me), GNU Make
should be modified to support them in all Windows ports; any solution
that is good for other Windows ports will be good for Cygwin, and vice
versa.  Do you agree?