RE: Is cygwin-ml softwere altering message content?

On 18 August 2006 13:39, Max Bowsher wrote:

> The RFCs indicate that it is the encoded form which is signed and verified.

  <boggle>  You're kidding!  No wonder it's so fragile.  I'd consider it bad
architecture to sign/verify a non-canonical representation.

> The problem is that the sourceware mailer is decoding the MIME part and
> re-encoding it into a subtly different form.
>
> It's irrelevant that the two encoded forms happen to decode to the same
> result, since it is the encoded form which is signed.

  Yes, of course it is in that case.

> I feel I do fully understand the situation.

  So do I.  You should definitely have a word with overseers, although there
may be some good reason for the reformatting, perhaps related to the
requirements of the web archives.  We'll just have to see.

> Are you saying that you got a verification error for my message with
> Message-ID <44E46C29.3050005@ukf.net> ?
> That would be bizarre, since it verifies fine for me.

  Yeh, but it's just down to Outlook munging the text when it exports it.  Why
can't M$ software ever just save your data, rather than tampering with it
because it thinks it knows better than you what it should be?  Feh!

    cheers,
      DaveK