Re: Update GCC in Cygwin?

Chuck Chopp wrote:
Are there any issues associated with updating applications that were included as part of the Cygwin installation?

I'm just beginning to get familiar with Cygwin, and I have some C++ code that is primarily being built using Visual C/C++, but I also need to test it for portability for use with GCC on Linux and Mac OS X. Initially, I was thinking of just using GCC under Cygwin to do the basic compile to make sure that I get a clean compilation pass before I set up actual target systems to do a full build on.

What I noticed, though, is that the GCC version that's included with Cygwin is older than what will be used on Linux & OS X, so I was interested in whether or not there's problems with taking an updated distro kit for GCC on a Linux x86 platform and installing it within Cygwin.

Is this something that should be do-able w/o problems? Or, do I need a GCC build that's made explicitly for use in Cygwin?

You need gcc and friends built for the host platform, Cygwin in this case.
Cygwin will not run Linux executables.

Holliston, MA 01746