setup.exe -> BSOD

Having successfully installed Cygwin on my desktop machine (XP Home,
SP2, fully patched), I wanted to install it on my laptop (XP Pro, SP2,
fully patched). I downloaded the current setup.exe and ran it,
accepting the default values till I came to the "choice of mirror"
screen. I chose my mirror, and clicked on "Next". The machine showed
me a split-second Blue Screen of Death, then rebooted. Three repeated
attempts brought exactly the same result.

I fully realise that I am not providing enough information for anyone
to solve my problem, but I do not know what else might be useful. I am
happy to supply whatever info might help. For now, I am definitively
stuck.

John Smith