Re: Cygwin filesystem

On 9/18/06, Francis Rossi <francisrossi@yandex.ru> wrote:
Hello,

I wonder whether there are plans about creating a special filesystem for Cygwin. I think it would be a very useful thing, for practical reasons. The problem with the folder Cygwin is installed to is that when you're looking for some files on your hard disk, that directory takes a lot of time in the search because of dozens of thousands files, especially in /usr. Another issue is deleting the Cygwin installation, it can take hours, for the same reason. I think it could be resloved by creating a separate partition for /usr and placing it into a separate file with virtual filesystem like on VMWare or Bochs. When Cygwin is started this partition would be mounted like Windows disks and deleting it would last as long as one click.

So let me get this right. Because Windows Search is slow you want have cygwin put its files a different partition? Cygwin's setup put the files exactly where you told it. It suggested C:\cygwin to you but you did not have to put them there. You made the choice and it is very easy to move them if you want to.

I have never had a cygwin install take hours. Minutes at best.