Re: bash-3.1-7 BUG

> I suspect that the "Well, they can just install Linux (floppies, CDs,
> DVDs) if they feel like it" observation has been made several times a
> year for the last ten years.  It's obviously not a very powerful
> argument since Cygwin is still here and you can't really assert that the
> only reason it is here is because make understood MS-DOS paths or bash
> dealt properly with \r\n line endings.

I personally use Cygwin to make full use of a unix shell and environ along
side windows - typically with around 8-10 puttycygs open along with NX clients
to Linux machines running NX. Since it's inevitable that windows will creep
into things, there's not much one can do to get around it - aside from making
a personal pact 'not going to use windows' - which we've all most likely done
and eventually failed out. That being said, if I didn't require just a few
windows applications that I use aside from Cygwin, I'd be running KDE/Linux 2.6
on this box in a heartbeat. That being said, I think cygwin is great, and I
find it invaluable under windows. I really couldn't imagine using MSW without
cygwin.

> I doubt that Eric will want to deal with the fallout of having bash not
> understand \r\n line endings but, if he does, it would be his decision
> and, again, I would support it 100%.  I am very eager to see things like
> configure scripts work faster and if we have to drop a few scared or
> lazy people along the way to accomplish that goal, that's fine with me.
> I have no problem at all with being a part of a smaller community which
> doesn't need to use notepad to edit their bash scripts.

Yep - and what section of the bell curve do people who write in bash/sh *on*
cygwin *also* use notepad to edit the files? I would think 95% are using
vi/vim.

-cl