Re: Speeding up Cygwin deployment

On 9/25/2006 9:03 AM, Vinod Gupta wrote:
>> C:\cygwin\usr\share\man\man1\allec.1
>> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\doc\html\atobm.1.html
[...]
I am wondering:
Why would they set these html files as System files?
Why info-zip (or probably any DOS app) can't restore them??
Why WinXP's internal unzipper goes an order of magnitude slower if the archive has S files???

Thanks,
Vinod

As I said earlier, I am trying to deploy Cygwin on 100 WinXP machines by zipping C:\cygwin from a reference machine and unzipping the archive on 100 targets. It works but unzipping is painfully slow (takes 45 minutes instead of 4-5).

A little deeper look shows that WinXP's builtin unzipper spends almost all the time in the following three folders:

C:\cygwin\usr\share\doc\
C:\cygwin\usr\share\qt3\doc\
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\doc\

I don't need any documentation for Cygwin, nor man pages nor user guides particularly when these three folders constitute only 10% of the total Cygwin disk space but take 90% of the time to unzip. I tried excluding cygwin-doc and the setup stalled at the end of download at _update-info-dir package with an error "Download incomplete, retry?" Retry failed too. It seems there are some dependencies problems. Which packages should I exclude from installation on the reference machine?

Vinod