Re: Problems with 'dircolors'

Thanx in advance for the provided solution Philip, but I just can't
get it to work.
You said:

`dircolors' comes with its own built-in colorization scheme; that's what
U get when U type `dircolors --print-database.'  If U want to
_customize_ your colorization scheme, dump the database to a file, like
this:
      dircolors --print-database > dircolors.db
make whatever changes U want, and in your `.bash_profile' file (if U're
using `bash' as your shell), enter this line:
      eval $(dircolors -b /path/to/your/file/dircolors.db)
If U're using `csh,' it changes slightly (see `dircolors --help' for
explanation):
      eval $(dircolors -c /path/to/your/file/dircolors.db)
and it has to be put into your `.tcshrc' file.

Now when U open a window, `dircolors' generates a command to set the
environment variable LS_COLORS.  This is executed in a subprocess (it's
inside a `$(...)' construct), and its output is returned as a string
passed to `eval,' which _runs_ that command (which sets the LS_COLORS
environment variable) in the context of the current process (sort of
like using `source' or `.').

HTH!

Phil the Old Coder

I understand a bit more about the environment variable and I've done
exactly like you said.
I have a bash shell so I edited .bash_profile, usin VIM (it's awesome)
and then exited, entered cygwin again, startx, ls ..  nothing...
Everythings the same...

Any more solutions or ideas, anyone...?

Stuccio