Re: 1.5.21-2 CYGWIN1.DLL Invalid Page Fault (in a new thread)

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Here's some environment variables that may affect cygwin:
>> CYGWIN = 'C:\CYGWIN'
> I'd recommend getting rid of this setting.  It's incorrect.

That relic is now gone.

>> Looking to see where common programs can be found, if at all...
>> Not Found: awk
>> Not Found: bash
[snip]
> Given what you've installed, the above is not good.  It indicates that the
> installation went awry somewhere.  You should try rerunning 'setup.exe' and
> see if it just needs to finish installing things.

I ran setup.exe on my local repository. It reported no problems and offered no
files for installation.

> If not, you may want to
> try removing everything and installing again.

I hid the old c:\cygwin directory and did a new, minimal installation, selecting
just cygwin and its dependent files. At post-install I received numerous invalid
page fault errors identical to the original while bash was attempting to run.

Thinking that my cygwin was corrupted, I deleted the new c:\cygwin directory and
the local copy of cygwin-1.5.21-2.tar.bz2. Then I downloaded a new copy of
cygwin-1.5.21-2.tar.bz2 and the other files that came with it. Another
installation attempt and the same failures.

Then I stepped back to the 'previous' versions offered by the mirror and
downloaded that group of packages.  (Unfortunately, that still includes the
1.5.21-2 version of cygwin but earlier versions of several other packages.) That
installation went okay except for about twelve Error Starting Program windows
reporting: "The BASH.EXE file is linked to missing export
CYGREADLINE6.DLL:rl_variable_value" so the installation was not useable.

In the interest of science I ran setup.exe again, this time only updating
readline6. Setup finished without complaints but the original invalid page fault
error in cygwin1.dll has returned. Cygcheck -c reports all files OK.

The "Looking to see where common programs can be found..." section produced by
cygcheck -s has improved as shown in the attached scheck.txt file.

Should I try anything else?