RE: Newbie questions: missing packages / script writing

on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 1:33 PM, cygwin@snowstone.org.uk wrote:
> In message <45477B3C.674E3B48@dessent.net>, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> FYI, this question should have been sent to cygwin-xfree (at)
>> cygwin.com, not here.  All X11 topics belong there.
>
> Sorry, I'm at the stage where I don't know enough to know where to
> direct my questions. (I couldn't see a "beginner" mailing list
> anywhere.)
>
>> cygwin@snowstone.org.uk wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the "Package List Search" on cygwin.com says that rman is
>>> included in (amongst others) xorg-x11-man-pages which Setup has a
>>> "keep" next to meaning they're installed presumably?
>>>
>>> However /usr/X11R6/bin contains only a file called "run.exe". So
>>> where is rman?
>>
>> The man page (/usr/X11R6/man/man1/rman.1) is in the
>> xorg-x11-man-pages package.  The binary (/usr/X11R6/bin/rman.exe) is
>> in the xorg-x11-bin package.  Both filenames contain the string
>> "rman" but one is documentation and one is the actual program.
>>
>> If you have an empty /usr/X11R6/bin/ directory then you don't have
>> the binary package installed.
>
> Great, that's worked a treat (and enabled me to sort out some other
> missing packages too).
>
> I think I've got enough working now to go away and experiment and
> hopefully next time I ask my questions will be more sensible!
>
> Before I go, I have one more gem though ;-)
>
> Barry referred before to writing bash scripts and I've found some
> useful info on that and can call my scripts from the bash console,
> but is there away to double click on a file in Windows and have it
> invoke the bash console and execute my script?
>
> Thanks a lot for the pointers so far,
> Adam
>
> --
> Adam Richardson
> Carpe Diem

Set up a windows shortcut that calls bash program with options:

	c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c /usr/local/bin/script.sh

If the script takes options you may need to include quotes.

	c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c '/usr/local/bin/script.sh opt1 opt2'

But I would suggest a newbie get very familiar with now things work when
you type at the command line before you do something like this.  I
always worry that nasty things may happen when I'm not looking.  I would
like some experience with a particular script and certainly with
scripting in general before I would trust something to be safe when I
just clicked on an icon.  (I sometimes click an icon accidentally and
launches its program without my having intended to.)