Re: Please test the latest developer's snapshot

----- Original Message ----- From: "Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 9:48 AM
Subject: Please test the latest developer's snapshot

Hi,

The latest developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ contains
a couple of patches which are supposed to get Cygwin running better on
the upcoming Windows Vista.

The important change here is a slightly different memory allocation
scheme.  I'd like to hear if this version still runs fine on all OSes,
not only on Vista so I'd appreciate some feedback in terms of memory
allocation problems.  Please look for messages as "fixup_mmap_after_fork
failed", "couldn't allocate heap", stuff like that.

The new memory allocation scheme could result in the necessity to rebase
again.  The usual base address of 0x70000000 for rebase *might* result
in problems with applications using mmap and runtime loaded DLLs.  So,
if you get such a problem, please call rebase(all) with a base addresses
of, say, 0x65000000 and try again.

Thanks, Corinna

Red Hat

Hi,
Many thanks and appreciation for having a product like Cygwin.
I will be testing it on Windows Media Centre Edition.
I was really disappointed when my new computer with Windows MC could not
run Cygwin Binaries in my research studies. I actually started using Dev C++, installed Linux
as I had no other choice. But I wondered whether it is something to do with Memory as
my computer has 1Gb RAM, and whether Cygwin could reach only a certain level.
But small code to check memory was working perfect but programs with bulky
variables did not work.

Thanks again,
Champ