1.5.21-1: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2000 SP4)

Changed the Subject from '1.5.19-4: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2003 Server SP1)'.

On November 7, 2006, Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote:
> Dan Harkless wrote:
>
> > Does this mean setup.exe should be modified to do a rebaseall as the final
> > step of installation, so fresh installs of Cygwin won't be broken
> > out-of-the-box?
>
> This has been discussed in the past.  It's not a good idea, because:
>
> - rebaseall is not always needed, only in certain combinations of
> circumstances, so doing it always is a waste of time/effort/extra step
> to go wrong.  Most users will never need to do it.
>
> - rebaseall is kind of an ugly hack, a temporary crutch until such time
> as all maitainers have compiled their packages with
> -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base, then we could retire the notion of
> manually assigning base addesses after-the-fact.
>
> - rebaseall currently breaks the emacs package, if installed.

Only emacs or also xemacs?  If the latter, I guess I can't use this, since I
definitely need my Emacs (haven't yet reinstalled it on my fresh Cygwin
install).

> - rebaseall requires that no files be in use, otherwise it aborts at the
> first DLL it cannot open for writing.  Apparently the notion of stopping
> all Cygwin apps/services before running setup.exe is way beyond some
> people, so this would end up being yet another thing that trips them up.

Well, as it turns out, the rebaseall thing did not permanently fix my
problem anyway.  I rebooted a couple of times and was able to ssh in both
times without having to restart sshd.

However, then my machine was up for a couple of hours, I ran a few programs,
connected and then disconnected my Cisco VPN client (not sure if that has
anything to do with anything -- it never caused problems for my sshd in the
past), and then when I tried to ssh into my Cygwin box, sshd crashed with
the following popup:

    The instruction at "0x61063240" referenced memory at "0x61063240". The
    memory could not be "read".

I had to hit OK several times (due to the client retrying, I guess?).

On the client side I got the old:

Doing a 'ps -ef' showed that the sshd.exe parent process was still running.

I tried to do 'net stop sshd' and 'net start sshd', but the latter produced:

    The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
    The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.

    The service did not report an error.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

'NET HELPMSG 3534' provided no additional insight.

Running 'net start sshd' again at this point gets the 0x61063240 error popup
again, without even trying to connect with a client.  This is repeatable if
I try again.

Looks like I'll have to reboot to get sshd working again (will do so after
this email).

Argh, so rebaseall is not a solution for this issue after all.  Any thoughts
for what we can try next?

--
Dan Harkless
http://harkless.org/dan/