Re: print from xfig

On 12/14/06, Davies, Roger <Roger.Davies@swiftbrands.com> wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Bengt-Arne Fjellner Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 2:33 AM To: cygwin@cygwin.com Subject: Re: print from xfig

Steven Woody skrev: > thank you. but the FAQ only explained how to print if one know the > printer's network share name. i think my problem firstly is find out > the printer name, that is not explained in the FAQ. does anyone get > know how to know a printer's share name if the printer is shared via > Windows's domain? i am sorry for such a question, but the printer is > automatically installed on my computer, might via a network startup > script, so i lose the chance to get know the details. the only thing i > can do now is to play with the printer's properties dialog. >

Presuming you have access to the shared printer through the windows
control panel, the standard naming convention displayed in the control
panel looks something like <printername> on <servername>.  So, all you'd
need to do is

lpr -P//<servername>/<printername> yourfile

and with luck you'd have output.

the problem is, it only has a 'printname' and with no servername on it. that's what makes me confusion and i think the MS-Windows domain plays a role here. another guess is, because the printer is a network printer, it has it's own ethenet connector, so it does not connect to any server.