Re: Vista & coreutils (or any other package)

On Dec 15 09:20, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Corinna Vinschen on 12/14/2006 8:26 AM:
> > http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1020271&SiteID=1&mode=1
>
> Oh. My.  Well, as I maintain coreutils, and don't have access to Vista, I
> will have a very tough time testing any "workarounds" to this blatant bug.
>  Deciding that a file is a "security risk" purely on its metadata is
> absolutely wrong - it is the contents that matter, and not the file name.

You got this slightly wrong.  It's not about deciding whether an
executable is a security risk or not, it's about starting installer
software automatically with admin privileges by recognizing them
using a "heuristic"...

Anyway, I just made a quick test with the manifest file and, as Brian
already mentioned, it's actually very simple.

Create a text file "install.manifest" with this content

=== SNIP ===
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0"
     processorArchitecture="X86"
     name="install.exe"
     type="win32"/>

  <!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->
  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel
          level="asInvoker"
          uiAccess="false"/>
        </requestedPrivileges>
       </security>
  </trustInfo>
</assembly>
=== SNAP ===

The version number can be any version number as long as it has four
groups of digits, apparently.  I tried with a version number "6.4"
and it failed to work.  A version number of "6.4.0.0" is ok, though.

Now create an install.rc file with this content:

=== SNIP ===
1 24 MOVEABLE PURE "install.manifest"
=== SNAP ===

Then, attach the resource like this:

$ windres install.rc install.rc.o
$ ld -o install.exe /usr/bin/install.exe install.rc.o

and the new install.exe in your local directory has a manifest which
results in normal, expected behaviour in Vista.  Of course you can
add the resource file to the normal link stage, too.  But for testing
it was simpler to relink the executable with the additional resource
file.

Corinna

Red Hat