Re: Error building cygwin DLL from CVS HEAD

On Dec 20 20:35, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to David Rothenberger on 12/20/2006 2:06 PM:
> > I'm encountering an error while trying to build dumper.cc. This is with
> > the latest CVS HEAD.
> >
> > In file included from /usr/src/cygwin/src/winsup/utils/dumper.cc:16:
> > /usr/src/cygwin/src/include/elf/external.h:248: error:
> > `ATTRIBUTE_PACKED' does not name a type
>
> I'm currently building with this workaround patch, but yes, it would be
> nice to be fixed...

You could also just install ansidecl.h from your cvs checkout into
/usr/include.  It's a bit unfortunate that the Makefile allows to build
dumper.exe even if the bfd directory is not part of the source tree.
This adds an implicit dependency to the installed version of binutils to
the build.  On the bright side, this allows to build dumper.exe even if
the bfd directory is not present in the source tree.

I'm not quite sure if it makes sense to tweak the dumper.cc file to
define ATTRIBUTE_PACKED.  This will become useless as soon as a new
binutils version is released, while the same problem will happen with
other newly defined macros in bfd land as time goes by.

So, what I did was to turn around the include order so that ansidecl.h
is included before bfd.h.  This works around the problem of the order in
which system include files are handled by gcc.  This way you always get
the ansidecl.h from the source tree before any one bfd.h file is
included.

Corinna

Red Hat