Re: perl script dies with The instruction at

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> moka writes:
>> Larry Hall wrote:
>>> Don't mix and match perl modules.  If you're using Cygwin's perl,
>>> use modules built and be sure _not_ to use any ActiveState Perl
>>> modules and vice-versa.
>> Well, I did not mean to mix. In fact I think I did not ask cygwin to
>> install perl, but I am  not sure.  I do not find any perl in
>> c:\cygwin\bin
>> There is a perl file directory in c:\cygwin\lib though
>>
>>  I just didn't deinstall Activestate
>> Now  when I do from a DOS prompt, even in a c:\cygwin subdirectory
>> which perl
>> I get back
>> \cygdisk\c\perl\bin\perl
>>
>> which is C:\perl\bin\perl.exe, i.e.  the activestate one
>> Originally I thought this was a path problem, i.e. if I put
>>  c:\perl\bin first in the path, only the activestate perl would be
>> used.
>
> How are you starting your script?  Can you put: print "$^O: $]\n"
> or something at the beginning and verify for sure which perl you are
> using?
>
> If you are accidentally running cygwin's perl and it's loading
> activestate modules, uninstalling the perl packages should help.
>
> If you are running activestate's perl and it is finding some cygwin
> perl modules, that would cause a problem also.  Adding something like:
>  BEGIN { unshift @INC, sub {
>    print join ":", "loading", @_, caller, "\n";
>    return;
>  }; }
> at the beginning of your script, that may help isolate the problem.

At a command prompt (DOS/CMD or cygwin) do "perl -version" (no quotes). Not
"-v"; spell it out in full. That will tell you, for each shell, which
version of perl *perl* thinks is running. Then, if you have two different
ones, remove the one you don't want.

--

Harold Fuchs
London, England