Re: Newbee problem at compile mtx scsi changer tool

Brian Dessent schrieb:
> Pierre Bernhardt wrote:
>
>> checking for scsi/scsi.h... no
>> checking for scsi/scsi_ioctl.h... no
>> checking for scsi/sg.h... no
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> I think the problem comes from here...
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Could anybody help me to identify the missing or problem?
>
> You already found the problem.  mtx expects to directly call a kernel
> API that does not exist on Cygwin.  From the mtx FAQ file:
>
>   Note that mtx 1.2 and above use the SCSI GENERIC interface on Linux,
>   FreeBSD, and Solaris (at least). They do NOT use the tape device node.
>   Please read the man page for directions.
Yes, thats right. An loader has no impact on an tape node. It is an own
class of scsi devices and can handle not only tape devices.
I have an NSM/Siemens CD-Jukebox for example.
This means, the loader use an own scsi id on the connected scsi adapter
card.

> This means there is no way this is going to work on Cygwin as there is
> no such kernel API to call.  It would probably work if it used only the
> tape device node, but it has been coded to specifically not work in that
> way.
mt is an programm who will call directly the tape. An loader is an own
class. For example, you can have the loader on its own scsi card connected.
Hopefully this is understood.

> Note that there is already a Cygwin-specific "mt" package that you can
> install through setup.exe that supports the basic tape operations but I
> don't know if it will support autoloader-specific commands.
see above.

So my next question: How can I code the scsi devices?
With vmware I have seen, that I must map my windows tape0 device to
vmware scsi:0:0 and my scsi:4:1 (the loader on id1, tape has normally
id0) is mapped to scsi:4:1, so under linux in vmware the tape is
accessible as sg0/nst0 and the loader is accessible as sg1.
The situation with my 4 CD-Rom jukebox is nearly the same:

The loader is scsi:4:2 mapped to scsi:0:2 and the cdrom mapping is
cdrom0 --> scsi:4:3, cdrom1 --> scsi:4:4, cdrom2 ...

But now back to my question: It looks like that in Windows an node
scsi:4:1 scsi:4:2 could be found so I think unter cygwin the devices
could be accessed, too.
In my opinion so the scsi-code could be convert to cygwin, with more or
less problems.
So my question is now how can I acces the scsi devices?

Thanks for helping.
Pierre Bernhardt