Re: Help. Cygwin corrupting files

Chuck wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Chuck wrote:
At first I thought my recent problems with cygwin were limited to the
occasional "ls" command listing nothing. Run it again an it works
(usually). Now the problems are getting worse. I tried to "rm" a file
that I own and it didn't fully delete it. It corrupted it. An ls of the
file shows this (that is, when the ls command works).

$ ls -l
ls: cannot access bin_dirs.txt: No such file or directory
total 14
drwxr-xr-x+  2 CHamilto Domain Users    0 Feb  9 14:50 ./
drwxr-xr-x+ 19 CHamilto Domain Users    0 Feb  9 14:33 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 CHamilto Domain Users 3196 Feb  9 14:48 all_bin_dirs.txt
???????????  ? ?        ?               ?            ? bin_dirs.txt
-rwx------   1 CHamilto Domain Users  368 Feb  9 14:33 chuck.sh*
-rwxrwx---   1 CHamilto Domain Users 3069 Feb  9 11:06 cleanup_rman.sh*
-rw-r--r--   1 CHamilto Domain Users 1491 Feb  9 14:08 servers
-rwxrwx---   1 CHamilto Domain Users  270 Feb  9 14:50 upload.sh*

What is up with that? I can't access or remove the bin_dirs.txt file now with either cygwin or windows. I tried resetting the owner but chown fails too.

$ chown "CHamilto:Domain Users" bin_dirs.txt
chown: cannot access `bin_dirs.txt': No such file or directory

I have tried reinstalling cygwin and coreutils to no avail. Did something happen in a recent release of cygwin to explain this bizarre behavior? I've been using cygwin for years and never experienced anything like this. Please help!

Have you checked if you can do similar operations with DOS commands? I believe what you're seeing here is a hardware (probably disk) problem. Years ago I had a failing disk pick off files randomly for a while until the whole thing finally went.

HD scan shows no errors.

Here's another strange thing that's happening now. Part of my .profile
runs keychain - a script that starts up ssh-agent and prompts for my
passphrase. It only does this the first time you log on and uses the
same ssh-agent for subsequent logons. It suddenly never reads my
passphrase correctly the first time. I get a "bad passphrase" error,
re-enter it, and it accepts it. Then on subsequent logons, I get past
the keychain prompt, but I cannot enter anything at the shell prompt. I
type but nothing echoes until I press CTRL+C. Then I can start entering
shell commands as normal. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm beginning to think I need to remove and reinstall every cygwin
package, but I'm not certain that will fix it either. I've already
reinstalled both coreutils and cygwin itself. I've even tried rolling
both back a few releases, but I get the same problem. This is very strange.

As mentioned by someone else in a previous mail, this seems to look
like a harddisk problem.  Windows *sometimes* does not detect
physical errors on the harddisk, making you think that nothing is
wrong with the disk.   Windows will keep running until eventually
it corrupts its own file system.

This once happened on my laptop. The harddisk was already creaking for weeks but windows didn't see the errors. The harddisk eventaully got
busted but not before I backed up all the data.

So, it would be prudent to start backing up your data.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

Member of the Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City
Tokyo 206-0011, Japan
http://www.astra.co.jp