[ANNOUNCEMENT] EOL for Windows 95/86/Me

I'm not sure if it has reached the consciousness of the general Cygwin
user base yet but I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of the
fact that we will be ripping out support for Windows 95, Windows 98, and
Windows Me in the next version of Cygwin, which will be version 1.7.0.

This has been announced on our web site (http://cygwin.com) for a couple
of weeks, has been discussed in the cygwin-developers mailing list
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers) for six months or so, and has
been discussed between Corinna (corinna) and me (cgf) for longer than
that.  I hope that the reason to drop the support is fairly obvious.  If
it isn't feel free to respond to this message in the cygwin mailing
list.

So, barring any catastrophic problems with the current released version
of the Cygwin DLL, the last Cygwin version with support for
non-Windows-NT class versions of Windows will be 1.5.24-2.

We're not against someone stepping up to continue to support the 1.5.x
series in a separate CVS branch, if there is still interest in this.  We
can provide this person with checkin privileges to the cygwin source
control and we'd expect that this person would make periodic releases of
the old 1.5.24 version.

Barring that however, it's so long Windows 9x.

FYI,
cgf

If this does not work, then look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the
email header of this message.  Send email to the address specified
there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL and you WILL be able to unsubscribe.