RE: Accessing remote PC (ssh?)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Charles D. Russell wrote:

> >  Dave Korn wrote:

Actually, I did...

> > Sshd does not care about the IP of the machine it's running on.  All
> > it does is listen on a port.
>
> > Ssh stores the hostname/IP in ~/.ssh/known_hosts.  If the IP changes,
> > ssh may prompt you to accept the host keys again (although this mostly
> > happens if using raw IPs to connect).
>
> _______________________
> Truly a prompt, that tells explicitly what to do, or just a message, that
> requires you to understand something about networking?

If the IP lookup succeeds, but the IP address has changed, you might get a
prompt.  In your case, the IP lookup fails.

> My ssh/sshd installation has broken twice.  After noticing that IP
> addresses had changed, I read about DHCP and suspected that to be the
> problem.  I'm not a programmer, just a dumb engineer who normally counts
> on setup.exe (or in this case the installation scripts)  to take care of
> all the sysadmin stuff.
>
> What I am getting, with a formerly working installation, is:
>
> $ ssh sony06
> ssh: sony06: no address associated with name

This is not ssh-specific.  You'll have the same problem with ping, or
telnet, or any of the host of internet applications that rely on DNS
lookups.

> I have reason to believe, from previous correspondence with this group,
> that my installation is flaky. I did not reinstall then, because at the
> time it was working. If I reinstall by means of the scripts, is ssh
> expected to work without periodic maintenance?  (Just within a home WNET
> using a wireless router with DHCP.) How should I proceed to ensure a
> clean reinstall?

Reinstalling ssh/sshd won't help in this case.  You need to figure out why
the name sony06 is not resolved by your DNS server (which is probably your
router).  If you can ping the machine, but cannot ssh to it, then we enter
the realm of possible ssh problems.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin