Re: Waiting for //.terminfo or //.termcap

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Ken Fast wrote:
> >
> > > Opening a bash shell has been much slower lately.  (New WinXP
> > > machine, or new cygwin install?)  Also, using some simple commands
> > > like man is terribly slow.  In looking through the strace logs for
> > > bash, less (the slow part of man pages), and more (tried as an
> > > alternative to less for man pages) I see a 6 or 7 second delay for a
> > > search for //.terminfo or //.termcap.  I am on a network connected
> > > machine in a corporate setting, so there are a lot of entries at //.
> > > A simple ls // comes back in a second or two, but searching for
> > > //.terminfo is killing me.  My TERM environment variable is set to
> > > cygwin.  Why doesn't cygwin look in
> > > C:/cygwin/usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin first instead of looking
> > > across the entire network for .terminfo?
> > >
> > > Note: I posted yesterday on another thread about the DLA problem.
> > > I think it may not be a DLA issue at all, unless DLA is causing this
> > > global search for terminfo.
>
> > You didn't attach the output of "cygcheck -svr", as requested in
> >
> > > Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> >
> > so I have to ask: what is your HOME set to?  If it's set to "/", that
> > would explain the behavior (although it's arguably a bug in ncurses,
> > since it should be looking for /.terminfo instead).  Try setting your
> > HOME to something else.  And please follow the above "Problem reports"
> > link and provide the requested information.
> >    Igor
>
> (See attached file: cygcheck.txt)

Yep, looks ok.

> Yes, my HOME was set to "/".  I set it to something else and that fixed
> the speed problem. However, in my Windows profile HOME is actually set
> to "C:/cygwin".

Why?

> It is the mount of C:/cygwin on / that resets it to "/".  How do I keep
> HOME pointing to "C:/cygwin" instead of "/", or do I need HOME set at
> all?  Should I keep HOME out of my Windows profile and just put it in
> .bashrc instead?

Few of the Windows tools care for the value of HOME (I think they use
HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH instead).  However, Cygwin lets the users set their
HOME to a Windows path in the global environment, and then performs the
translation to Cygwin paths (which respects the mount table).  There is no
way to turn off this translation, and probably no need to.

The usual value for HOME in Cygwin is /home/$USER (in your case,
/home/kfast).  It might be best to either set it properly (i.e., to
c:\cygwin\home\kfast), or omit it altogether, as that is the default.

> As for the bug in ncurses, is this a known thing, or a useful thing to
> pursue?

Not sure -- you might want to investigate on the ncurses-related mailing
lists.  I suspect it's been reported before, but nobody bothers to fix it,
since Cygwin is one of the few platforms where the initial "//" is
actually different from "/", very few people in Cygwin set their home to
"/", and for many projects "if it works on Linux, it ain't a bug".  You
can try either reporting it again, or (better) submitting a fix and seeing
if they accept it.  Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin