Re: Using mysql 5.1.16 beta client libraries on cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:06:26PM +0100, Roelf Renkema wrote:
>> Eric Lilja wrote:
>>> As many of you may know, the binary distribution of MySQL for Windows
>>> only ships with MSVC++ libraries.  They have no binary distribution for
>>> Cygwin.  So what do you do if you want to develop c or c++ programs
>>> talking to a native Windows MySQL server using the cygwin tools?
>> That brings me to a question I wanted to ask for a long time?
>>
>> Where's cygwin's php and/or mysql.  They probably got a lot going
>> against them but they are peoples choise.  At least some communication
>> would be nice.  And now riscing the lart, why doesn't cygwin cross the
>> border and take advantage of ported software.  Lets face it, cygwin
>> will never bring posix to windows, but if it just posixs windows with a
>> few cheats that nobody cares about hey.......
>
> What in the world are you talking about?

Ah Chris, I love it when you trigger. Especially when you turn on that
innocent, I do not comprehend look. Let me start off with... Sure your
right.... in a white and black world.

> Not bring POSIX to Windows?
>
> We've already done that (and we're not even alone here).

No you didn't, even MS didn't. Do I have to point out the recently put

'Calling Cygwin python from the "DOS" shell vs. from BASH'

doesn't that illustrate just what I'm saying. Cygwin is only trying to
bring posix to windows. When it would succeed it would be transparently
usable. Hey but thats just MHO.

If you are further refering to QEMU then again this is just an emulator,
 and a (processor)time consuming one as well. Rather use cygwin.

> Take advantage of ported software?
>
> We've done that too.

OK here you got me puzzeled? Why isn't cygwin apache windows PHP
compatible? A shoot wrong question. Please state an example. Excluding
setup.exe.

> Where would the supposed mysql or php come from?  Are you supposing that
> a cabal (Hey! Maybe it's Microsoft) is keeping some poor downtrodden
> mysql port away from the distribution because it isn't pure-POSIX or
> something?

I don't know hence my question. Are you getting old. The Chris I got to
know over the years was reading before shooting off. I'm just trying to
understand what keeps back a port or (yes there it is): a bridge.

> It seems like you're indulging in some magical thinking here.  You
> should stop that.  It doesn't work too well with computers.

Well I don't seem to have a problem with any computer, DOS, Windows,
Linux, Apple whatever, please elaborate on magical thinking. I'm not
sure I get what you mean. Of course thats probably just my problem. I
don't get it. Feel free to state that as well. I like to indulge though,
I must admit :-)