1.5.24 remote launch of java gui

I am unable to launch a java application via ssh such that it displays
the gui on the remote machine.

Setup:

Machine 1 (Linux)    --ssh-->     Machine 2 (WinXP w/ Cygwin 1.5.24)

Example:
At the prompt I type "java -jar Notepad.jar" in the correct directory
expecting to see the java Notepad display on Machine 2

 => I see a java process but no gui.

I see a similar problem with the main app I am trying to run.  My
application will run just fine on Machine 2 and I am able to interact
with the process (but not the GUI) and I need the GUI for some
monitoring.

Even if I set the DISPLAY=localhost:0 it will not display.

I don't want the GUI to show up on Machine 1 since the underlying
purpose is to launch a java application on multiple cygwin machines
using a looped 'ssh -f machinex "java app"' script with the gui
displaying on each remote machine.  This approach works great on linux
boxes but I cannot get a java gui to display on the cygwin machines.

I can remotely launch xterms since I do have an Xserver running on the
cygwin box.

Any help or pointers to better information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack