RE: 1.5.24 remote launch of java gui

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> Subject: RE: 1.5.24 remote launch of java gui

> > >   He doesn't want to.  He wants the display to appear on the same
> > > remote machine where the java process is being launched.
> >
> > So he does.  Then he'll just need to check the "Allow service to
> > interact with the desktop" checkbox in the service properties (or use
> > the -i cygrunsrv flag).  Unless he uses privilege separation, in which
> > case he's out of luck (as this option is only available for services
> > running as "system").
> > 	Igor
>
> OK.  Now I am bit confused.

So are we.

> I am not trying to run a service on the remote cygwin box and so I don't
> see how I would 'check the "Allow service to interact with the desktop"
> checkbox' or why I would use the cygrunsrv application.

Your remote box is Cygwin, and you're logging in via ssh, right?  That
means that you *are* most likely running sshd as a service.

> I just need to run the java app on machine 2 via a ssh connection from
> machine 1.  I want the app to display it gui on machine 2.

Exactly.  When you log in via ssh, the sshd service spawns your Java
application.  To be able to display the resulting window, it needs your
permission to "interact with the desktop".

> I don't really even think the Xserver is required since the app runs on
> machine 2 when launched on machine 2 without an Xserver installed.

No, Java does not use X, since it's a pure Windows application.  It uses
Win32 GDI calls.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin