Re: perl problem with cygwin path

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Mike R Brown wrote:

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

Mike R Brown wrote:

[snip]
Nope. With a current updatedb locate found one perl.exe under /usr/bin. When I renamed this perl.exe to perly.exe and copied the version that worked from my machine and did a version check while in /usr/bin I get

./perly - v   returned 5.8.8 (original questionable perl)
./perl -v     returned 5.8.7 (perl from working box)

Everything I have checked points to just one Perl installation. So maybe the question here is where did this version come from?

That is indeed a good question, since the latest available 'perl' from kernel.org is 5.8.7-5. The full output of 'perly -v' (that's the questionable perl) may tell you something.

They look very simular other than revision.

----------------------
This is perl, v5.8.7 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int

Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
---------------------
- and -
---------------------
This is perl, v5.8.8 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
---------------------

Looking closer I see there is a perl -V test that shows much more information. I didn't check that out. Unfortunately the other machine won't be back on line until next week. Will to the -V test and see what it looks like. Still curious as to how it got uploaded to at least one mirror.

You may have used a "3rd-party" site as well. There are sites out there that have set themselves up to deliver packages in the 'setup.exe' format. Once you add one of these sites to your list, 'setup.exe' continues to use it until you tell it now to. So if you're curious, you should check the sites that 'setup.exe' presents on the machine with Perl 5.8.8. You can also pull to you local system a package from another site and install it that way with 'setup.exe'. The point is that there are ways of installing packages that aren't part of the distribution. Somehow, you've managed to do that here, since 5.8.8 isn't part of the Cygwin distribution.

I assumed that she just picked a mirror from the setup.exe supplied list. I guess she may have done something other. I will ask. I also did a perl -V and yes this version of perl was not compiled for cygwin...

 Built under MSWin32
  Compiled at Aug 29 2006 12:42:41
  @INC:
    c:/Perl/site/lib
    c:/Perl/lib

This whole thing is a bit strange. I will find out just what site she used and see if that leads to anything. I had thought it was the same site she install all of Cygwin from. Hopefully she didn't get other odd packages as well.

Thanks for the help,
Mike