Re: tcsh-6.15.00-1 can't find cat, cut, sed

On Apr 16 11:55, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 16 April 2007 11:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On Apr 13 16:23, Keith Thompson wrote:
> >> I just upgraded to tcsh 6.15.00-1.  When I start a login shell,
> >> I get the following error messages:
> >>
> >> cat: Command not found.
> >> cut: Command not found.
> >> cat: Command not found.
> >> cut: Command not found.
> >> sed: Command not found.
> >> [...]
>
> > Hang on, I'm wondering how this is supposed to be a bug.  When you start
> > a local Cygwin shell, the cygwin.bat script sets $PATH for you, so that
> > it contains /bin.  [...]
>
>   Besides, if you startup tcsh on a linux box with an empty $PATH, you'll get
> the exact same problems, so Cygwin is DTRT-ing here!  Here's an example:
> [...]

Oh, hmm, I just found that /cygwin.bat does *not* set $PATH.  And I was
so sure it does... at least mine does when starting tcsh.   And as the
login shell in an ssh session it gets a valid $PATH anyway.

Otherwise $path is (correctly) set in /etc/csh.login, but which is
sourced *after* sourcing /etc/csh.cshrc.  This is rather unfortunate.
I'm wondering if I should just compile tcsh with the LOGINFIRST flag
set, which turns around the order in which cshrc and login files are
sourced...

Corinna

Red Hat