Re: [ncurses] strange characters with rxvt

Jeff Hawk wrote:
From the rxvt website:
rxvt is a colour vt102 terminal emulator intended as an xterm(1)
replacement for users who do not require features such as Tektronix 4014
emulation and toolkit-style configurability. As a result, rxvt uses much
less swap space.
Therefore, rxvt is intended for X.

As you are running it, it does not support the line drawing character
sets.

This is not true. Please, take a look here:

I don't know what you're trying to tell me with this, but rxvt is an XTERM replacement and is therefore intended to run under X.

But not the version distributed with cygwin. It has been significantly modified from the (dead, no longer maintained) upstream version.

1) Basically you need to get the following font:

http://dessent.net/tmp/luconP.zip

This is correct. This is a recoded version of lucida console, with the DOS lineart characters in the "original" location.

2) Set the TERM environment variable to rxvt-cygwin-native

3) Run rxvt like this:

rxvt -fn "Lucida ConsoleP-14" other-options-here

You may also need to add "-d :0" to the command line, to *force* native mode.

When I tried this from a CMD window, rxvt still started under X.

On cygwin, rxvt is sensitive to TERM and also to DISPLAY. If your DISPLAY (or the -d option) specifies :0 or is empty, then cygwin's rxvt will operate in so-called "native" mode, which does not require an X server and used Windows fonts. Otherwise, cygwin's rxvt will attempt to contact the X server specified by DISPLAY (or the -d option).

Thus, DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 != DISPLAY=:0

--
Chuck
cygwin rxvt maintainer